Charlotte,

The Azores government maintains a website with online documents,
including passports out of the Azores, birth, death, and marriage
records. You will see it referred to as the CCA or Centro de
Conhecimento dos Acores. here is the link.

http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/ig/

In the passportes section, in Ponta Delgada, for years 1875-1883 on
page # 0066 on line 365, I found

Jose Tavares Ferreira    on the right side it shows Maria Augusta. It
looks like him.

here is the link to that page:

http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/biblioteca_digital/PPDL1875-1883/PPDL1875-1883_item1/P67.html

Let me know if it doesn't come up.