Hello Charlene,

As Elaine stated you can google to find several recipes for Linguica. The
Portuguese Hawaiian style and a variety from various regions of Portugal. I
personally didn't like the Hawaiian version. Here are three I just found,
one from northeast Portugal. Costco in San Marcos, CA was selling the
Silva's brand until recently and I guess it wasn't a big seller for them. I
tried promoting it everytime I was in there (LOL) hoping they wouldn't stop
selling it but they did and now I'm almost out. Going to have to try them
myself.

My aunt just passed away and I am the one going through all her things. My
grandfather was a chef as was several other Portuguese relatives so I'm
hoping to find some of our Portuguese family recipes. I remember her telling
me she had one for linguica. Anyway, for now hopefully the following will
help.

Michelle

*This one is from Montanhas:*

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds boneless pork
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, mashed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika

Trim excess fat from meat. Chop meat into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside.
Combine vinegar, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, salt, pepper and paprika in a
large bowl. Add 2-1/2 cups water and mix thoroughly.

Add meat, cover and refrigerate 2 days, stirring occasionally to blend
flavors.

Drain liquid from meat and squeeze meat in dry towel to remove as much
moisture as possible.

Fry meat mixture in ungreased fry pan 8 minutes until lightly browned and
crumbly. May be stuffed in clean casing for sausage or used in bulk.

*Homemade Linguica
Emeril Lagasse, 2001
*
2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Combine the pork, garlic, salt, paprika, white pepper, oregano, sugar, black
pepper and red pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Pass through a food
grinder fitted with a coarse die. (Alternately, transfer in 2 batches to a
food processor and process until finely ground.) Transfer to a large bowl,
cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Add the vinegar
to the meat and stir well to combine.

To test the seasoning, heat the oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2
teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasoning, to taste.

Form the meat into patties.

Preheat a home smoker to 250 degrees F. Smoke the sausage for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from the smoker and use as desired.

*Portuguese tapas bar in San Francisco, near Fisherman's* *Wharf, in 1979*

It differs considerably from traditional linguica in that it calls for
sherry (a Spanish wine) rather than vinegar, and its only spices are salt
and paprika. The mix should be very coarsely-ground. We use a 3/4" plate on
our grinder. As for the sherry, avoid cheap cooking brands. We favor
Harvey's Bristol Cream, which is rich, sweet and full-bodied, but you can
experiment with other types, although dry sherries give the sausage an
unpleasant, flat taste. Or try a good Port, which will, at least, be
Portuguese. Stuff into hog casings. When made with Harvey's Bristol Cream,
the taste is unique and absolutely unforgettable.

• Ground pork: 1 lb.
• Coarse salt: 1/2 teaspoon
• Dark sherry: 2 ounces
• Paprika 1-1/8 tablespoon