  From: Cheri Mello
  To: Azores@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 11:04 PM
  Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Trying to make sense of these names

  Dora,

  Maybe Bandura was their alcunha.  Francis would be Francisco in the
Portuguese records.  Antoine would be Antonio.

  Siblings can use different surnames.  This was common back then.

  Faial (modern spelling; Fayal is the archaic spelling) is part of the Azorean
archipelago.

  Lisbon, Portugal is not Spain.  Spain and Portugal are two different
countries.  I'm not good with European history, but I think Portugal became its
own country somewhere around the year 1000.  If you are researching in 1870,
there should be no confusion about which country is Spain and which is
Portugal.

  Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, R. das Tainhas, Achada