David,

Unfortunately, if you think the the originals were in that condition, then
you won't find anything more legible.

The Genealogy Society of Utah (GSU, today called Family Search) went there
in the 1980s and filmed and an error occured (a skipped page, out of focus,
etc), this was noted and the pages were refilmed.  I've seen this many times
on the microfilm.  There is a white header above that states the problem.
Sometimes it says "Correction" (but in Portuguese).  If your FHC has the
newer equipment, you can copy the records in question onto a
flash/travel/thumb/USB drive and bring them home and try to enhance them
with your favorite PhotoShop like program.

Generally, I don't see indices from the time period you ask about.  If they
exist, they are on the microfilm and the GSU put them in front of the book
(in the actual book I see them in the back, but that doesn't help if you are
looking at film).

Cheri Mello