Hi David-

It was with great interest that I read your e-mail.  I have many ancestors from
both Nossa Senhora da Luz and São Mateus.  The only Neto is Clara Neto married
to Francisco Correia.  They're parents of Mateus José de Quadros.  I don't have
dates of birth or death for any of these people.  Though I have no
documentation, I suspect they are from São Mateus.  Perhaps you can match up on
the names to search for the baptismal records you seek.

I also have Estácio Correa de Mello e Attaide from Guadalupe, married to
Quitéria Gil da Trindada Betencor, born 1844 in Nossa Senhora da Luz.  She died
18 May 1896 in Caminho da Vitária, Guadalupe, Graciosa.

Let me know if you can match up on any of these people, and we can check
further for additional common ancestors.  In any event, I'll keep your name and
e-mail address in my files and let you know if I find any likely prospects from
the time period you're searching.  Likewise, I'll send baptismal records I may
locate.  Good luck in your research.

Blessings,
Greg Lima
Washington State

---- Kawika322 <oldschoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

=============

Hello to all (especially others who have family from Graciosa),

Looking for legible baptismal records from Nossa Senhora da Luz from
1612-1796.

I am doing research on my family from Graciosa in both the parishes of
Nossa Senhora da Luz and Nossa Senhora de Sao Mateus. The surnames I
am researching are DE SOUZA NETO from Nossa Senhora da Luz and
D'ATHAIDE, also spelled ATAYDE or ATAIDE from Nossa Senhora de Sao
Mateus.

My g.g. grandmother was Luzia NETO, born Apirl 25, 1865 in Nossa
Senhora da Luz. Her parents were Jose de SOUZA NETO and Francisca
Carolina D'ATHAIDE. Luzia had 2 other siblings that I know of - Manuel
SOUZA NETO, born April 22, 1861 and Maria SOUZA NETO, born January 9,
1859 both from N.S. da Luz.  Jose SOUZA NETO (Luzia's father) was born
April 17, 1826 in N.S. da Luz. Francisca Carolina D'ATHAIDE was born
November 25, 1826 in N.S. de Sao Mateus. her parents were Domingos
Antonio D'ATHAIDE and Maria Candida COELHO. They were married March 1,
1813 in N.S. de Sao Mateus. Jose de SOUZA NETO's parents were Jose de
SOUZA NETO and Delfina Roza THOMAZIA (IGNACIA), both from N.S. da Luz.
They were married December 28, 1806 in N.S. da Luz.

I have been able to find more informatoin on the ATHIADE side of the
family, as the baptismal records from Nossa Senhora de Sao Mateus are
more legible than Nossa Senhora da Luz. The baptismal records that I
have access to at the FHC for Nossa Senhora da Luz from 1612-1796
(film # 1547221, items 9-16) are for the most part illegible and very
hard to impossible to read. I think either the originals were in that
bad condition or more likely what it seems like is that the records
were microfilmed out of focus and therefore are unable to be read.

Does anyone have access to legible baptismal records for Nossa Senhora
da Luz during the timeperiod of 1612-1796? Or does anyone have
baptismal record index for that parish?

Also, if anyone has connections to this family, any information would
be greatly appreciated. Since there aren't too many posting on
Graciosa, maybe all of us researchers can compile a database of
records, names and dates and family trees.

Hope to hear from anyone who has any ideas.

       Thanks,

               David Freitas Buckley