Hi Deanna,

You'd have to check at your FHC, but a month for films to come in may be
cutting it close.  The record you are after has been filmed.

To do research for Flamengos, you'd go to the Archive in Horta, on Faial.
They hold the records for Faial, Pico, Corvo, and Flores.

You'll need to request the book of baptisms for 1889, Flamengos.  I haven't
been to the archives in Horta, but if it's like the other 2 archives, you
will fill out a slip of paper (your name, book requested, and year), and the
librarian will get it.  (Kind of reminds me when you want a magazine from a
year or two ago in the American library system....you fill out the paper and
the pages will go in the back and retrieve it).  You'll have to scan the May
1889 ones looking for all Jose's being baptised.  The first sentence (around
that 1889 time period) usually starts off by stating the BAPTISM date, not
the birth date.  A sample of the records can be found here (scroll down):
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/HowTo.html

In the 1889 time period (kind of around 1850s onwards), you will find that
the baptisms say, Jose, son of Antonio Duart Luiz and Maria de Jesus (or
Maria religious middle name).  Women didn't use surnames during that time
period.  Many people get frustrated with this, especially if you are
researching records on this end, looking for the village (lucky you, you
have it!!)  American death records (someone tell me if the Candian ones are
the same) ask for the name and birth place of the father.  The informant
states this many times.  But the next question asks for MAIDEN name of the
mother (and birth place).  Since Portuguese women didn't use surnames, the
answer is "don't know" which gets recorded on the death record.  The
informant knew (in many instances) the first and middle names of the mother,
but that's not what is being asked of them.

The 1889 record you will be seeking will give you the name of Jose's parents
(with the mother having only an first and middle name), where they married,
and the names of both sets of grandparents.  I copy down the godparents and
witnesses too, just in case they turn out to be relatives.

Flamengos film for baptisms covers 1661-1892 (with gaps), marriages from
1705-1878, and deaths from 1649-1884.  Once you find Jose's baptism, go back
in time looking for older siblings.  Once you don't find any siblings for a
couple of years, request the book for marriages (as Jose's baptism will tell
you where they married) and start at the oldest kid's birth date and start
looking backwards for the marriage of Antonio Duarte Luiz and Maria.  Yes, I
know it takes 9 months to make a baby.  I also know our ancestors weren't
perfect either.  I've seen a baby being born and the wedding take place only
a couple of months before the birth of the baby.  I've even seen it take
place after the birth too (but the baptism will tell you that the baby is
illegitimate, so you'll know to look in a different time period for the
marriage).

For ideas on reseaching your Pereira's, use the link above to find the
freguesia/village they were from.

Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, R. das Tainhas,
Achada