Cheri, thank you so much for all the great information!

> In the 1889 time period (kind of around 1850s onwards), you will find that
> the baptisms say, Jose, son of Antonio Duart Luiz and Maria de Jesus (or
> Maria religious middle name).  Women didn't use surnames during that time
> period.  Many people get frustrated with this, especially if you are
> researching records on this end, looking for the village (lucky you, you
> have it!!)  American death records (someone tell me if the Candian ones are
> the same) ask for the name and birth place of the father.  The informant
> states this many times.  But the next question asks for MAIDEN name of the
> mother (and birth place).  Since Portuguese women didn't use surnames, the
> answer is "don't know" which gets recorded on the death record.  The
> informant knew (in many instances) the first and middle names of the mother,
> but that's not what is being asked of them.

Well, that explains one thing. On my grandfather's death certificate,
his mother's name is listed as "Mary Unknown" I always wondered how my
grandmother couldn't have known her mother-in-law's last name.

I also have all the Luiz siblings' names and birthdates. My
grandfather was the oldest, so I guess I can check from about 1883
forward for his parent's marriage.

I was also pleased to see that I had overlooked some information on
the 1910 US Census records that I have on the family. Antone Duarte
Luiz's (g-grandfather's) parents are listed as part of his household!
They are listed as Joe and Constance, ages 73 and 71, respectively, in
1910. Apparently after g-grandfather and grandfather came to the US in
1903, the rest of the family, including Joe and Constance, came over
in 1905.

Ed Silveira also sent me some great information about looking records
up in Horta, so it looks like I will be spending some time at the
library there!

I think the Perreiras may be harder to find. I have much less
information on them.

Thank you again! Your website and this group are invaluable!

Deanna