Sorry, I have a ton of emails and haven't had a chance to read all of them yet.
 Hopefully, someone didn't already answer this question.

Many years ago my Mother and I took a Portuguese genealogy class at the
Sacramento FHC and this was a topic of discussion during the class.  One class
member's Grandfather jumped ship and indicated he was having troubles finding
information, etc., etc.

Basically the topic mentioned that not all the ships owners and or captains
were very nice.  All some owners/captains wanted was FREE labor.  So, the
immigrants immigration papers were taken by the owner/captain and when the ship
arrived at a US port, they would not be allowed to get off the ship.  If you
didn't have papers the US  wouldn't let you "in".  We were told that some
immigrants would light a fire near the shores of the island (they lived on) to
signal a ship that they wanted to work on a ship and immigrate to another
country.  Immigrants would be promised that if you work for so many
years....then we'll take you to America in trade for labor.  But, many times
this didn't happen.  In addition, there we many that immigrants (not just
Portuguese immigrants) who were basically thrown overboard at sea.  Once they
were finished with their "free" labor, they got rid of them.

. Robin Borba Besotes .

Researching:  Bettencourt, Borba, Barbe, Da Rosa, Jacinto, Rodrigues, Mattos
California Towns:  Newman, Turlock, Crowslanding, San Jose, San Juan, Tres
Penos, Hollister, Watsonville, Pacific Grove