Lou,

I check my database on Portuguese Names and Their Meanings and found
the following for the name PACHECO.  I hope this information helps you
in your genealogy research.

Eugenia

==============

Pacheco -

Has a Armorial

It is a masculine name

  Pacheco, Pachequo, Paxeco:
  Information is from:
Doug da Rocha Holmes, "NAMING TRADITIONS, SURNAME TYPES",  OProgresso,
Dece. 1995, Vol. 14, No. 4, page 10

  In 1498 King Joao of Portugal sent out the famous captain explorer
and scientist Duarte Pacheco Pereira, to investigate the lands in the
west.
Duarte's account (written in 1505 but published only in 1892)
indicates that he may have reached the So American coast.  He speaks
of a vast continent extending from 70 NL to 28 SL.
  Information is from the book:
William L. Langer, AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORLD HISTORY, Houghton Mifflin
Company, 1972, page 390

  In 21 Apr. 1500 the Portuguese commander Pedro Cabral sailing to
India with 13 caravels and accompanied by such distinguished catains
as Dias and Duarte Pacheco, landed in Brazil, coming from Cape Verde
Islands.  The party stayed only about 10 days, but took official
possession of the country which Cabral named Tierra de Vera Cruz.  The
idea of Cabral having been the first to discover Brazil, like the idea
that his landing there was accidental, has now been given up by some
scholars, but the question remains open.
  Information is from the book:
William L. Langer, AN ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORLD HISTORY, Houghton Mifflin
Company, 1972, page 390

  Azambujal is a Family name of a Azores Family.  The name derivation:
Pacheco.
  Information is from:
James H. Guill, PhD. AZORES ISLANDS A HISTORY, printed in AMERICAN
PORTUGUESE GENEALOGICAL AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC., Vol. XVI, No. 3,
Fall 1995, page 50

  Pacheco, change to Azambuial.
Family name.
  Information is from the book:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 181, 223.

  Pacheco - This is a surname commonly used in Portuguese and
Brazilian Portuguese.
  Information is from:
BASIC PORTUGUESE PALEOGRAPHY, The Genealogical Department of the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Series II, No., 20, 1978,
page 27.

  Pacheco - is a family name of a early Portuguese immigrant in
California.
  Information is from:
Carlos Almeida, PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS, Published by: The Supreme
Council of U.P.E.C., San Leandro, CA,1978, page 269.