I too am from Ponta Garca. What part of Ponta Garca was your father
from?

As to Pacheco, it goes way back to the beginning of Portugal and
before. Eloise Cadima, a fine researcher, once wrote a piece in the
old Rootsweb list that stated the name goes all the way back to the
Romans and a General named Pacheco. And, as you know, the Romans were
in Portugal and called in Lusatania- that is, land of light, due to
the amount of light Portugal received. The Pacheco's of the Azores can
probably be traced back to about 1500 or so. Whether one links to the
big names or not, is a matter of research and one can't assume that
all with the same name are actually descended from the same branch.

JR