I am desperate for any additional ideas as to where I might search for my
husband`s paternal grandmother, Maria Cristo Morais.

She told her daughter she was born in 1885 (anywhere from 1884-1887 on census
in US).
and that she was 5 years old when her father, Joao Morais, died in 1899.  Her
mother Jacintha Libiana would have been too old to have had her as a child.
This led me to the possibility that she was the daughter of one of her older
Cristo since her youngest son was born in 1921 in RI.

I have looked at all the Maria born in Lomba da Santa Barbara from 1884 until
1894.  She was not there as a child of Joao Morais and Jacintha Libiana or as a
grandchild of that coouple.

There are no confession rolls in the church in Lomba da Santa Barbara and none
at the archive.

Joao Morais, aka, Joao da Morais, Joao da Costa Morais and Joao Morais da
Costa, did not leave any inheritance when he died in 1899.  (Maria Cristo had
told her daughter, Mary Cruz, that she was 5 years old when her father died).
That would have been about 1894 and Jacintha Libiana would have been too old to
have had Maria Cristo as a daughter.

I spoke with an elderly man here at the archive and he told me I needed to
search for Maria Cristo`s sisters marriage..  That is what I am going to search
today.  I am not sure where that will lead me;however, I am following every
lead.

I have also asked if they have the death index for children for Lomba da Santa
Barbara.  Some churches kept an index of children that died young.  Don`t know
if there is one for this village; however, this will tell me if either of tghe
early Marias died young.

 Will check in when I get to Terceira or you may hear me shouting when I find
Maria Cristo.  Hugs, Celeste

Any and all ideas welcome.  Celeste, from Ponta Delgada, Azores
Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com