E, I check my database on Portuguese Names and Their Meanings for the
name ALEXANDER and found the following.  I hope this information help
in your genealogy.

Eugenia

Alexander -

English, Anglicized name

  In Portuguese, Alexandre - In English, Alexander.
Proper name.
  Information is from:
Dr. Armando de Morais, DICIONARIO PROTUGUESE - INGLES, Editorial
Domingos Barreira, Rua Oliveira Monteiro, 343, Porto, Portugal, 1952,
page 891.

  In Portuguese, Alexandre - In English, Alexander.
Proper name.
  Information is from:
Jura Oliveira, Ph.D., PORTUGUESE DICTIONARY, Crown Publishers, Inc.,
New York, 1993, page 223.

  Alexander - Anglicized (English) family name.  Alexandre -
Portuguese family name.
  Information is from:
Carlos Almeida, PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS, Published by: The Supreme
Council of U.P.E.C., San Leandro, CA,1978, page 271.

  Alexander - (masculine) English, Dutch, German, and Hebrew: from the
Latin form of the Greek name Alexandros, which is composed of the
elements alexein to defend + aner man, warrior (genitive andros).  The
compound was probably coined originally as a title of the goddess
Hera, consort of Zeus.  its was also as a byname by the Trojan prince
Paris.  The name became extremely popular in the post-classical
period, and was borne by several characters in the New Testament and
some early Christian saints.  Its use as a common given name
throughout Europe, however, derives largely from the fame of Alexander
the Great, King of Macedon (356-23 BC), around whom a large body of
popular legend grew up in late antiquity, much of which came to be
embodied in the medieval 'Alexander romances'.  It also became a
popular Hebrew name under Alexander the Great's benign rule of
Palestine.
Cognates:
Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair (Anglicized) as Alistair).
Irish Gaelic: Alastar.
French: Alexandre.
Italian: Alessandro.
Spanish: Alejandro.
Catalan: Aleixandre.
Portuguese: Alexandre.
Romanian: Aleandru.
Russian: Aleksandr.
Ukrainian: Oleksander.
Polish: Aleksander.
Chzech: Alexandr
Hungarian: Sándor.
Yiddish: Sender.
Short forms: English: Alex, Alec, Alick.
Italian: Sandro.
Pet forms: English, Scottish: Sandy (Gaelic Sandaidh).
Scottish: Sawney.
Russian: Sasha, Sanya, Shura.
Polish: Oles, Olech, Olek.
Czech: Olexa.
  Alex - (masculine, feminine) English: short form of Alexander,
Alexandra, or Alexis; also commonly used as a given name in its own
right.  It is now also sometimes used in France and Germany.
Variant: English: Alix (feminine)
Short form: English: Lex.
  Information is from:
Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges, A DICTIONARY OF FIRST NAMES, Oxford
University Press, New York, 1995, page 9.