Alternate spellings of names, especially surnames are a pet peave of mine.
Rick, I agree with you a 100 percent. In my genealogy program database, I
spell surnames as they were spelled during the persons lifetime, and more
specifically at the time of the person's death. When requesting a record of
a long dead ancestor from one of the Azorean Archives (Horta in my case), it
absolutely infuriates me when they send an abstract and use the modern
spelling of the surname, when the original record (which I have seen) has
the original spelling.  I feel like suing them for falsifying
documents!!!!!!

Example:My father's last name was spelled "Vasconcellos" when he immigrated
to this country in 1909 according to the record on the ships's list on the
Ellis Island web site. Somewhere along the line, the spelling got "updated"
to "Vasconcelos" which is the modern spelling.* My theory: *When he went
back to Flores to marry my mother in 1928, he was not yet a US citizen, so
he had to renew his Portuguese passport. The Portuguese beaurocrat who
processed his passport renewal application must have decided to "correct"
the spelling of my father's last name to the modern spelling. I have first
and second cousins in both New Bedford and here in California who still
spell it the old way (Vasconcellos) because their ancestors immigrated
before 1910 and became citizens of the US.  (From what I understand, 1910 is
about the time double letters were eliminated from the Portuguese language.
If anyone, knows the full story and true date, I would be interested in
learning it.)

A half-brother of my father of my father immigrated to New Bedford in the
late 1890's and all his decendants spell the name Vasconcellos. Another
example in my family is Corvello/Corvelo My mother's second cousin, Captain
Antonio Caetano Corvello immigrated to New Bedford, Mass in the 1890's where
he became a whaling Captain. I have cousins who still live on Flores who
spell the name Corvelo. I rest my case.

This little known fact can be an aid in dating the arrival of your ancestors
in the US. Vasconcellos/Vasconcelos, Corvello/Corvelo, Mello/Melo, et
infinitum. Goes for first names too: Anna/Ana for one. My mother's maiden
name was Anna de Freitas Corvello after she married my father her name
became Ana Freitas Vasconcelos. I think I've exhausted that subject.
Regards,
John Vasconcelos