Cindy;  I am certainly no expert but; from what I have learned, women in the
Azores in this time period did not routinely use a surname.  Again, this
largely depends on the time frame.  Children could have a surname of their
mother, father, grandparent on either side, distant relative, etc.  If you
had 6 children in a family, they could have 6 different surnames.  The use
of surnames was in part a way to honor ancestors so, they covered as many
bases as possible. (Now, that was a bit of a generalization but; just to
give you the idea.)

Also, very often you will have several Marias that are siblings.  These
Marias would also have a second name and that is the name they would be
called by. (Maria, of course, would be honoring the Virgin Mary.)

Next you have the issue of 2nd, 3rd, etc. of the same name because the
previous one, two, etc. had passed on early in their lives and the parents
gave the next child of the same sex the same name....

No one said this genealogy thing would be easy......  :-) Sam in CA

Thanks for the name help info....if Coracao de Jesus is a religious
term, then it's not her maiden name?  The naming customs have my head
spinning.

Cindy D
Kansas