Thanks to Elaine's lead I contacted the Sonoma Historical Society and some wonderful information is coming my way...still don't know the Island Manuel and Jennie came from yet, but feel I am getting closeer to that and the link to the other Borba's in California. If any of this information rings for any of you, please let me know.

Adair

Begin forwarded message:

From: evelyn mcclure <bellev...@monitor.net>
Date: August 6, 2010 11:37:34 PM EDT
To: Adair Borba <adair1...@comcast.net>
Subject: Some preliminary Borba Information

Adair,
Here is some info from reference material I have at home. I did a book
Around 2000 Listing burials in Sebastopol from early on to the 1970s,
information taken From newspaper obituaries that I read at the library on
microfilm.

Read through it all and let me know if I can help further.

Evelyn McClure

Manuel E. Borba 1851-1934
Jeannie Solomon Borba 1856-1946

11 children. both are buried in Sebastopol (there is a Borba family plot) they lived on Florence Ave. in Sebastopol and the house is still there. Per obituaries, they came to U.S. in 1875 lived in Hayward, CA (SF East
Bay) moved to Sebastopol in 1890s.

Their Children:

Emanuel I. Borba (1878-1977) Blacksmith for 50 years in Sebastopol married
Angeline Vier (1885-1974) of Petaluma. Both buried in Sebastopol
Per obit. survived by nephew J. Clarence Felciano (no longer alive) but his daughter, Rene Felciano is a WSCHS member and founder. Her address is 6924
Butte Ct., Nice, CA (Lake County) 95464 phone 707-274-2424

William S. Borba (1886-1971) Born in Hayward.
Bill had a stationary store that added radios and cameras later.  In
business from 1906 to 1946. A photographer. We have some of his glass
negatives in our archives from the 1910 Apple Show, a big event here in those days. Some of his photos are also part of the Sonoma County Library collection too I believe. Married to Willow Tunteman who died in 1979. She is buried in Oakland, the city of her birth. Bill is buried in Sebastopol.
They had one daughter, Regina (married name Reeves)

Harry, sports writer in SF which you know

George lived in Los Angeles

Frank, lived in Penngrove, CA, Sonoma County

Charles

Louis 1894-1940 Buried in Sebastopol married twice:
Una L. Albush and Hilda, one child
Louis was a WWII veteran

Joseph W. Borba 1882-1940 Buried in Sebastopol, married to Gertrude Wylie
(1884-1970)
Joseph and Gertrude adopted Georgia Lawrey after her mother died in 1913. She was born in Freestone a couple miles from Sebastopol. Georgia died just a couple years ago at 92. She married Rodney Miller and they had
two children, Gayle and Bill (who still lives here)
Bill’s address: 198 S. High St., Sebastopol 95472 phone 707-829-2851. Bill
is a Historical Society member but newly retired from the U.S. Postal
service the last couple years and has been busy traveling etc. so we haven’t
seen much of Bill, other than I see him jogging around town.

Marie (Mrs. Charles Oswill) died in 1984 at 104 buried in San Pablo, CA

Margaret (Mrs. J. Norton Richter) of Vallejo, CA

Virginia died at age 14 in 1904 buried in Sebastopol.

I don’t know of any building with the Borba name imbedded in it. It may have been torn down. I have to check on the address of Bill’s business to identify it further. There is a painted sign on Main street in a building
alcove with Bill’s business name though.

The 1920/30 Analy reference is probably erroneous. Analy is the name of the township encompassing Sebastopol, deriving from a pioneer’s ancestral home
in Ireland.

You can go to the Sonoma County Library website, just google it. There is a History and genealogy line, click on that, on that page there is a historic name index. Search: Borba, and there are 43 (I think) references to the Borbas. I can look those up and make copies for you if you want. I’m doing a lot of research on another project in the Library Annex where those papers
are kept so I’ll be there a lot in the next few weeks anyway.

The Library also has photos on line you can look at.
On the same history page, look for historic photo collection, click on that
and do a Borba search.

We also have an oral history (on tape and transcribed) from Bill Borba. He
WAS a charter member of the Sonoma County Historical Society as
distinguished from our group, the Western So.Co. Hist.Society. They started up in the 1960s, we were founded in 1974. There are also short biographies in a 1926 Sonoma County History on Bill and Emanuel I, I can copy for you.

I can also check our family files to see what is there. Our files are kept
at the West County Museum, our Headquarters. As well, we maintain the
Burbank Experiment Farm. So there is a Farm committee and a museum volunteer
group.

This lineage starts with my Great Grandfather Manuel, then to my
Grandfather Harry, to my Father Dean...

Manuel Borba  abt 1850(Came to US from San Jorge 1872-1876?)(Just
found a brother Antone Borba abt 1853-54 that he lived with in
Sausalito, California according to the Census of 1880)
Jennie Solomon(Silva?) abt 1856(Came to US in 1868?)

Children-
Emanuel Ignacio Borba Born in Rhode Island 2/19/1878(I presume by the
above Census that Manuel went to Calif. without his wife and son and
stayed with his brother to find work?)Died in Cloverdale, Ca.
7/25/1977
Married to Angelina(Augie) 1885-1974

George Stephen Borba Born in California 4/5/1880 Died 4/11/1947 in San
Mateo, California
Married to Rose?, possibly a second marriage to Katherine?

Joseph William Borba Born 2/12/1881 in California Died 3/30/1940 in
Sonoma, Ca.
Married to Gertrude G.? 1884-1970
Daughter Georgia F.? abt 1923

Frank Borba Born 12/12/1883 in Hayward, Ca. Died 12/23/1947 in Sonoma,
Ca.
Married to Frances M. Kirsch 1887-1968

Marie(Mary?) Angela Borba Born 5/19/1885 in California Died 7/20/1989
in Sonoma, Ca.
Married to Charles Emerst Oswill 1881-1970
Son Donald C. Oswill 1910-1963

William"Wille" Sebastian Borba Born 11/9/1886 in Hayward, Ca. Died
6/17/1971 in Sebastopol, California
Married to Wilhelminia Anita Tuteman abt 1888
Daughter Regina Wilhelminia 1912-1989

Virginia Borba Born 10/1888 in California She is buried in Sonoma, Ca.
and I suspect she died in youth.  I have a burial plot number but
can't find the cemetery.

Margaret"Maggie Borba Born 4/1889 in California I have no other
information on her.

Charles M. Borba Born 1/13/1893 in Sonoma, Ca. Died 4/2/1964 in Napa,
Ca.
Married to Josephine M. Strubinger 1891-1981

Louis Anthony Borba Born 12/8/1894 Died 6/5/1950 in Alameda,
California
Married to Una L.?
Maybe a daughter Louise S.?

Harry James Borba Born 4/1/1899 in California Died 9/17/1957 in San
Francisco, Ca.
Married to Geraldine Marion french 1898-1949
Son Dean Irwin Borba 1928-1991
Married to Ardath Skinner 1931
Grandson Victor Lee Borba 1951-2010(My Brother)
Grandaughter Ardath Adair Borba(Me)