Hello Elaine and Eric,

I've found a little resource and would like to pass it along.  Haven't found
any information yet on my quest for Margaret Borba Dutra Reynolds nor her
children.

Elaine I took your advice and phoned the Santa Clara County Library.  They have
the San Jose Mercury News back to the 1980's to present.  They suggested I
phone the San Jose library where they were very helpful.  The do have the
records on microfilm back to the late 1800's.  They offer inter library loan
which I may have sent to my local library or possibly see if the Sacramento
State Library might have them on film.

http://www.sjlibrary.org/research/special/ca/

Here's an online digital collection database from the California Room of the
San Jose library.  They have old online collections at

http://digitalcollections.sjlibrary.org/cdm4/aboutcollection.php?CISOROOT=/arbuckle
  where you'll find this link via the link above.  Take a look at the right
hand side of the page where it says FEATURED COLLECTIONS.  Under this section
you'll see San Jose City Directories.  Very nice scanned copies of old 1800's
and early 1900 directories.

One of the directories indicated there were newspapers at the time period I'm
seeking called:

San Jose Post, Mercury Herald, Evening News, The Union, Santa Clara Journal and
the Santa Clara News.  My last trip to the State library in Sacramento reminded
me of the importance of know all the newspapers for a particular area you're
researching.  When I did this on another project it really helped to know what
films to pull and search.  Hope this helps another.

Robin Borba Besotes