Celeste, my father changed his middle name in adolescence (sigh), so I
can empathize.

Mary Ann, I suspect most if not all babies born in the US in the early
1900s (including my parents, uncles and aunt) still had home births.
Either the baby was then hauled to the church for baptism, or in dire
cases -- like my aunt, who was not expected to survive, although the
disagreeable old bat wound up making it to nearly 95, no doubt out of
sheer cussedness! -- a clergyman made a housecall to perform the
task.  Or, in my mother's case, since her parents were "free
thinkers," I'm not sure she was baptized until she was a schoolgirl
who attended church on her own.  Katharine.