It is possible. I'll bet many Sousa Batatas have become simply Sousa.

________________________________
From: Linda Norton <patli...@verizon.net>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, January 19, 2011 5:17:13 PM
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Sousa (Batata) family -- Vila Franca do Campo

Do you think that Batata could have been dropped at some point and time? I have
two surnames that dropped nicknames after a few decades or more or even from
different families that dropped it.

I have de Sousa's from Sao Miguel, but not with Batata. I just wonder if they
have siblings they could have moved and dropped the nickname.

Linda Borges Furtado Norton