On Jan 24, 2011, at 5:56 PM, Sam Koester wrote:

I don't think this is too off subject....My father told me his dad used to walk "over the hill" to the mines. At this point in time they lived in either Milpitas (San Jose, CA area). I think, from the back of my mind, that it was a sulfur mine. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks,
Sam in Maz

There were quicksilver mines in Almaden (or maybe they called it New Almaden)--now part of San Jose. That is on the western side of the Santa Clara valley.

There may have been other mines in the mountains on the eastern side of the Santa Clara valley, too, in the Mt. Hamilton area. But that seems like more than just over the hill!

Mary Bordi