On Jan 25, 2011, at 10:32 AM, cakemom...@aol.com wrote:

My aunt always told the story of how the rest of my grandfather's family, probably in the 1880's, and that they came around the Horn. I have never found where they disembarked, but I am thinking it had to be around San Francisco, since my grandfather was in Sacramento.

I am in the same "boat". My g-grandmother always said that the trip from the Azores (mid 1880s) took three months and she was violently seasick the whole time. We always thought she had come around the horn to California. But I have also not found any indication that this is true.

My g-grandfather--who probably was not acquainted with her since he left the Azores when she was around a year old--paid her way. He is the one (I mentioned earlier) who came to the Boston area and then a few years later across the US via train.

I have wondered if G-grandma came to the east coast or really did come around the horn (perhaps through Hawaii?) but I have not been able to find her on any ship or passport list.

Mary Bordi