MARRIAGE AND THE DEGREE OF CONSANGUINITY

Mention is made in the record if a dispensation was need for  marriage.
Dispensations were needed for blood relationships back to the  4th (quatro)
degree (3rd cousins).  The record reads that a dispensation  was granted
because the bride and groom were related to the 2nd (segundo)  degree.
Sometimes
they were related 2nd (segundo) and 3rd (terceiro)  degrees.  The
relationship is easy to spot because of three  words  .  “Dispensados” and “
consanguinadade” which is  similiar to the  English, “consanguinity”  and
meaning
of the same blood; descended from the  same ancestor. The third word is  “grau
”, meaning degree.  Following  are some examples:
“Forão despensados no  quatro grau de consanguinadade”
“Forão  dispensados em segundo grau da parentes e de consanguíneo”

The blood relationship is as follows:
1.  Primeiro grau (1st degree) is brother and sister.  This will never be
seen.
2. Segundo grau (2nd degree) is first  cousin.
3. Terceiro grau (3rd degree) is  second cousin
4  Quatro grau (4th degree)  is third cousin.

Knowing the  blood relationship can sometimes lead to the finding of a
missing  ancestor.  It can also give a clue as to where to look for other
ancestors.

In a message dated 3/10/2011 3:24:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,