Usually it was the priest who permitted the marriage.  It was his duty  to
check up on the relationships  of bride and groom.  I think with  first
cousins permission had to be granted by the bishop.

 Checking the internet: Blood relationship (consanguinity) in the  direct
line (such as father & daughter, mother & grandson, etc.) or in  the indirect
line for those related as closely as first cousins is an  impediment to
marriage (cf. Canon Law, 1091.2). However, such an  impediment may be dispensed
by the bishop of your diocese.

I'm sure others can answer better than I.

In a message dated 3/14/2011 11:48:39 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,