Death Records.

I found death records the most difficult to read - easier as time went  on.
  There is wonderful information in these records. It is the  best source
of information as to the social standing and wealth of a person  in a
village. These records often state that a person left a will.

Until about the early 1800s people were buried in the church...not in
coffins; lime helped for faster decomposition.  In many of the earlier  records
the exact  location of burial was given :  in front of the  pulpit, on the
gospel side near the gate of the chapel of St. Joseph,  etc. One of my
ancestors was buried in the grave of his grandmother,  Catarina Jacome.  This
was
interesting.  Her death record states that  she was poor, and  buried in the
grave of her ancestors..and yet she had a  rather large funeral.  Lots of
masses, etc. She died in 1617.  Now her husband was  wealthy, had orange
groves, etc, and when  he died his two sons were executors of his will, and he
was buried near the  pulpit.  I  wonder if these two were separated.  .I've
tried to  find out about orange groves around Santa Barbara, Terceira.  This
in the  late 1500-1600 period.  Nothing

The death records give us a social idea of the parish...from the noble
class to the very poor. We can learn something about the status of our
ancestors.  Such as "he was wrapped in a sheet, as he had no proper clothes
for
burial"  Often the record will note the amount paid for the  burial,  "such as
120 Reis paid for burial ". "Or he made no  testament for being very poor
and was buried gratis."

And then something like the following:  My ancestor, Joana  Gonsalves, died
on 16 Sept 1730, in Sao Bento, Terceira, and was buried in her  brother's
private grave, next to the screen on the Epistle side. Her brother,  Manuel
Simoes  in his will , had provided 50,000 reis for the costs of his  funeral.

Also interesting in the death records is to read:  Emilia Vieira left  her
terca to her daughter , Joanna Sousa.
So one wonders where this terca came from - what morgado?  From what I
remember about morgados is that this is an entailment, and that one who
inherited the morgado could leave a third to a cousin, sister, etc.
I noted several of my ancestors (women) who left terca's to their
daughters.  I am not a good enough genealogist to figure out from what  morgado

that terca came from.  Maybe it is not possible.

So remember, it isn't only baptism and marriage records.  Learn to  read
the death records.