As of Wednesday, all the old wonderful readers...4 of them are gone to the
heaven of 16mm readers.
I tried the one remaing (the one without the sign OUT OF  ORDER).  I could
get it more or less to work - if I stood up and moved  the reel along with
that  turn thing.  I had to stand up to read the  record....and every now and
then the machine would stall and it was difficult to  get the thing going
again.  After aboaut 45 minutes us useless research, I  gave up.

There are 2 large machines for 16mm reels.   The assistant there  didn't
know how they worked...One of the machines had only a radius of light  ...a
circle of light some 12 inches.  And he could not get my film to show  up. But
who could read it in that circle of light.  As for the  other machine my
film showed up but was impossible to read...all blurry and one  had to stand
up to move the reels.  Crazy.

Last night I wrote to someone who works there...have known him for years--
and he said he would try to get someone to fix that machine.  He had once
told me that they no longer had parts for these machines...that they no
longer  were making them.

I often wonder what has happened to all those researchers...There were 4
machines for 16mm films and
as I researched sometimes I had people next to me researching Italy (lots
of them), Germany, Puerto Rico, and, of course, most of us were researching
the  Azores.   It's a pity because the Oakland library has nearly all the
Azores films.

I haven't done much researching for years as my lines in the Azores  are
finished, but I have gone now and then to help others, or look something up
for them.  In those few times I never came across an Azores researcher at
the machines.

There must be nearly 40 machines , but the last times I have gone...no one
was using the machines....also a lot of OUT OF ORDERS attached to the
machines.

Eloise

P.S.  Just remembered that the head of the the FHC  in Oakland is  half
Portuguese...and we once, some years ago, before he became the head, had
discussed researching the Azores.  He speaks Portuguese.
He most know of the terrible condition of these readers.