Hi Nancy,
  The last time (2009) I was in Sao Miguel, I used Euros (I had cashed $ for
them in Terceira, with the help of Joao Ventura).  I carry my money in a money
belt around my waist, under my clothes.
   The only time I used the ATMs, I found that the exchange rate that was being
used that day did not always match the exchange rate that was used when my bank
deducted my transaction and also I was never sure of the fees attached by the
bank where I used the ATM and the fees used by my bank for the transaction.  In
other words, it was an unknown and I was surprised at the amount of fees.
   My friend that travelled with me used her credit card to pay for our room.
I paid her my part of the room cost in Euros so she had money to spend.  When
we returned home, she also was very surprised as to how much the fees were when
she received her credit card bill.  I don't know if this varies by bank or
credit card or if things are different today.  I believe if they are different,
the fees are even higher today.
   I have always used the same taxi driver whose base is near the arches in
Ponta Delgada.  His name is Carlos Rego and he speaks English; is a wonderful
tour guide; has even run up and down the street in a small village yelling,
"Who has the key," when the church was locked and I wanted a picture of the
baptismal fond and the altar.  He found the person with the key and we had a
nice time visiting with the locals and taking pictures of the church and
village.
   If you need additional info on staying in Sao Miguel, I have stayed in 4
different places and can give you my take on them.
   Celeste, Hayward, CA
Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com