I haven't gone to the Azores, but we live half time in Mexico.  Wells
Fargo bank charges flat fee of $5 for international bank ATM use.  We
opened a Global Remittance Account with them and can transfer money
via the internet or phone to the local bank in Mexico and go into the
bank and just pick it up.  That is free.  Up to $1500 per day.  If you
buy foreign currency before you go, you take a hit on the exchange
rate - that's how the bank is making it's money.  We did that the
first time we went to Mexico and got only 12 pesos to the dollar, when
the actual exchange rate was about 14 to one at the time.  So, check
with your bank(s).   Several people we know use ATM cards issued by
their brokerage firms and there is no charge or the brokerage refunds
the ATM fees to them.  I don't have an account at one of those
(Fidelity, I think is one).   Some credit unions don't charge for
foreign ATM use, either.  I know a guy who gets a prepaid ATM from his
local credit union before he leaves - no ATM fees on that, either,
from his credit union - only the fee that the foreign bank charges.