From: Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com>
To: Azores Genealogy <Azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:17 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Furtado and George from Faial

Repost for Judy G,
 gaarde at frontier.com

I am searching Furtado and George line from Faial, Azores and am very new at
this.
Is there a active Portuguese club of some sort for the Northwest states as
most all posting I read are coming from east coast area and I do not hear
"Ellis Island" or Northwest mentioned much??
If not this is what I know about my grandparents and great grandparents. I
believe his birth records there have been destroyed by fire as I read the
church in Saoal burned to the ground???
Grandfather: Antonio Rosa Furtado (possibly a Jr.?) born 1892 Island of
Faial (maybe little town of Saoal), Azores I read the church ( in Saoal)
that his records were in burnt down and they lost a lot of informtion.
Immigration - 1910 via Ellis Island (Ellis Island has write up and picture
on wall of him) to Turner, Calif. Died 1971 Santa Cruz, Ca. His father
possibly named Antonio R Furtado also. His Mother is unknown to me.
Antonio has a brother named Joseph (S or R?)Furtado who settled in San
Francisco Bay area, California prior to Antonio's arrival. There may be a
2nd brother Manuel Furtado who came over later. Such a common name and
nothing to connect it too.
1918 Antonio married Mary Elizabeth George - 1893 to 1986. Their
children Dorothy Rose, Edward A, and Geraldine May (my mother) . My
Grandmother Mary's parents are - Father - Antone F. George 1863 to 1949
,
Immigrated in 1887 from Azores (island ?),.
Mother is Mary J Martin 1872 to ? Maybe born here in Bay area.?.
Married - 1893 in San Francisco area and settled in Half Moon Bay,
California.- their children were: Mary Elizabeth, Joseph F, Rose , Minnia
(Minnie), Antone Jr. and Clara.
I show Antonio and Mary made a trip to Lisbon in 1952.
Both Mary and Antonio are buried in Santa Cruz, California where he had
retired. I have hit a wall.
I am still searching for distant cousins possibly in bay area???
Judy G
Morganti, Furtado, George, Martin- Faial Azores