Judy,

You can try searching the NEPS website
http://www.neps.ics.uminho.pt/açores.html . You’re probably not going to
find him there because of the 100 year mark. (They don’t list information
about people until it’s been over 100 years because of privacy) However,
when you identify his parents, you will probably find them there.  They show
a village called  <http://www.neps.ics.uminho.pt/salão.html> Salão. I don’t
know if that’s the same village you mentioned or not though.

If you have any questions about how to navigate the site, you just have to
ask for help. Myself and I’m sure everyone else in the group will be happy
to help you.

I am in the SF Bay Area in California and I do have the Furtado name from
Faial in my line. In fact, I have an Antonio Furtado who was one of 8
children born to Manuel Furtado (1637-1698) My grandfather’s family is from
Cedros though.  I don’t know how far apart Cedros and your village are, but
it’s possible that there is a connection. My grandfather and his parents
arrived in the US via Boston on Aug 6, 1906 and then traveled by train to
Martinez, CA in Contra Costa County.

There are lots of us in the group located on the West Coast and several of
us are in the SF Bay Area. If there’s anything I can do to help you, you can
send an email  to me privately.

Jacki Gentry

Pittsburg, CA

Main Surnames: Medeiros, Fernandes, Pereira, Pacheco, Machado, Azevedo

Islands: Cedros, Faial and Faja de Cima, Sao Miguel