I purchased a kit for myself and one for my father today. How long once we
send away the cheek swabs do we get the results?
On Sep 27, 2011 12:48 AM, "Cheri Mello" <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Small correction:
> If you are a NEW customer (never did your DNA before), order through the
Azores project here:
> http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=AzoresIslands
>
> If you are ordering for a non-Portuguese line and want the sale price as a
NEW customer, order here:
> http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=SCGS
> (No, you don't have to be a member.  I am, so that works for you, too).
>
> And if you are an EXISTING customer, log into your FamilyTree DNA page
with your kit number and password.  The left column, about 7 items down, it
will say: Special Offers: Sale.  Click that.

> I've been working on a different email for Family Finder.  But I'll just
do it now.

> Family Finder results with my dad (he's half Portuguese and half
American).
> Cousin - Total centoMorgans (cMs) - Relationship
> Altino Demelo - 191.21 cMs - 2nd cousin
> Jim - 129.36 cMs - 2nd cousin once removed (American side)
> Shirley Allegre - 105.71 cMs - 4th cousin once removed
> Tom - 76.94 - 3rd cousin cMs (American side)
> Charles - 62.94 cMs - 4th cousin once removed (American side)
> 2 others on my dad's Portuguese side:  Still waiting to determine the
relationship (31.92 cMs and 25.41 cMs, so they are probably more like 5th
cousins or more remote).

> A cM (centoMorgan) is a genetic unit of measure.  The more cMs you share,
the stronger the cousin relationship is.

> All of the cousins on my dad's American side are from the same common
ancestor.  So that was really helpful.  The only somewhat odd result is my
dad's match with Shirley Allegre.  You'll notice how I listed my dad's
matches in descending order with the cMs.  The cousin-ship also descended.
Except with Shirley.  Almost 106 cMs should be more like a 3rd cousin. And
that is what FTDNA predicted too.  But reality?  My dad's grandparents were
double first cousins.  If you think about your grandparents, you should have
25% from each one.  But since my dad's were double first cousins, it's more
like he has 50% of their DNA (hence the double part).  So it screws up the
prediction with some of my dad's lines, making Shirley Allegre appear out of
order.  Not to mention that Shirley's lines cross with my dad's something
like 14 or 16 times too.

> For those who are 100% Portuguese, they are getting 20-30 matches right
away.  My dad has 81 matches (on account of his American side).  My mom
(English, Scottish, Irish, etc) type lineage has 162 matches so far.
Hopefully, that gives you a feel for the results.  You really need to have
your genealogy in a computer program or with a service (such as Ancestry) so
you can make a Gedcom of your tree so you can compare results easily.  You
only need the name, birth, and death dates to start, going back about 4-5
generations.  You can keep on adding from there.  Or you may meet a cousin
you can Gedcom that portion over to you and save you the typing.

> Traditionally, FTDNA has run a holiday sale in December as well.  So if
the timing is not right for you, perhaps December will work out better.
Rick or I will post that sale as well, as soon as one of us gets the email.

http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right