Thanks for the information.  I have just began my research for my
ancestors.  I haven't been able to get much information.
So far I know that my grandfather Joseph (Jose)  Machado Silva was born
about 1894 on Terceira and from Angra or San Mateus.  His parents were
Antonio Machado Silva and Maria Luz.  He and my grandmother came to the
United States in 1921.

My grandmother was Maria Augusta Gonsalves Silva born Jan. 14, 1897 in San
Mateus.  Her mother's name may have been Maria Clementina.

That is all the information I have right now.  I would love to know how I
can find out more.  I may be traveling to Teceira in August, 2012.  Is it
best to go directly to the churches for information.

I am also told that my grandmother's father may have been left at an
orphanage on a table.  Any information about how orphanages were run would
be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Colleen Wright