Kim,

It's a book that my Mom's cousin put together so it's not for sale.
He gave her a copy.  I now have his email address and will contact him
about your 'Rosa'.  Apparently then, Frank was Maria Bettencourt's
step-father, so no blood relationship there, though it seems like an
awful lot of people immigrated from that tiny island!  I believe the
birth records would probably be in the nearest large church, perhaps
Velas.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velas_%28Azores%29   There's a
picture of one of the villages, Urzelina, which is where Manuel T.
Freitas was from.

Let me know if you have any luck trying to find records.  I contacted
someone yesterday but it sounds as if he really doesn't do any
research but rather just copying and sending of documents.

I found this interesting site.  Perhaps you've seen it already.
http://web.meganet.net/bettenco/

Best,
Deborah