In answer your question on DNA. The Y-DNA test will only provide data for
the direct male line that is your father, his father, his Grandfather and so
on. So The Y-DNA will only show a small spectrum of a person’s DNA. If the
Y-DNA Halplogroup falls into certain groups (E1b1b or A or B. and to some
extent J1 & J2) that would indicate an African origin but that could be
anthropological (I am talking Fred Flintstone).

The same would apply to MtDNA. My dad’s MtDNA is L2 which is African origin.
This could be anthropological (Wilma Flintstone) in nature also. But MtDNA
only shows a small spectrum which is the maternal line.

A better picture of recent African origin would be the family finder test.
This will show results which go back 5-6 generations and will show a
combination of all ancestors in that range.

Rick

Family Tree DNA Co-Administrator
Azores DNA Project

Spring, Texas

Researching Sao Miguel Azores, Riberinha, Riberia Grande, Bretanha, Achada
Grande, Ponta  Delgada.