From: nancy jean baptiste
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:10 AM
To: azores group
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Norte Grande - impressions

Hi Rick,

E1b1b2a is my fathers YDNA. While it is from Africa it originated in the Berber
tribes of Algeria and Morocco around 7000 years ago. So North Africa and
Berber/Moor. Very different features from South Africa but also held as slaves
by the Portuguese. My Dad's paternal line is from the Topo area of Sao Jorge
and I've always wondered if his DNA is the result of raids by Algerian pirates
who I've read were active raiders in the Azores. However, I've had difficulty
finding information regarding the years of the raids and areas they attacked
although our neighbors on Pico said that they built homes up in Terra Alta
rather than down in Baia do Canto because it was safer from the pirate raids in
days of old. I do have a few ancestors from Norte Grande but they're on my
Mom's side.

Also, what are the portuguese words in the records for "slave" and "prostitute"?

Thanks,
Nancy Jean