Hi Jim,

I live in Hawaii and is also a descendent of de Souza.  My great grandfather
Guitao de Souza came to Hawaii in 1883.  His wife was Maria Ferreira.  I
can't find his name on the manifest but he was also know as Caetano or
Caitano de Souza.  They had a child Maria born in 1882 in Azores but I'm not
sure if she came with them.  Guitao's father is Jose de Souza and mother
Maria Ignacia.  The other children are Maria de Souza who married Joseph
Dias and lived in Alameda County, CA.  The next one is Manoel Dias Souza who
I only know had their last child in Honolulu.  I haven't found anything more
on him yet.  The next child would be my grandfather Joaquin de Souza who
married Maria Oliveira Branco or Branco Oliveira lived here in Hawaii.  The
next child is Caesar de Souza who lived in San Leandro, CA.  The next child
was Rosaline who married Joseph Moniz Lindinha but later dropped the
Lindinha.  They also lived the Alameda County area.  Last was a son named
John.  I don't know if he died because he is in the 1900 census as 4 years
old and in the 1920 census he is no longer there.

There is also another family from the Hilo area that is also a de Souza but
the names she's given me is not familiar with my family.  I will tell her to
join the Azores group and she might be family to you.

Gail