Duane,

I didn't read your record, but the standard format in the 1800s does state
that a record was drawn up in duplicate.  My understanding of this
duplicate is different than Dano's.  The 2nd copy was made and forwarded to
the Diocese (which for anywhere in the Azores was in Angra).  Supposedly
they were to be forwarded to the Vatican.  I know there aren't any
duplicates in Angra.  Otherwise, we'd know about them.  A friend called me
and said he saw a program (on the History channel or something) where the
Vatican said that they have records of every person in the Church and it
would take 100 years or something to scan them all.  I did not see the
program so I do not know in what context this was said or if it was a
fleeting thought that they'd scan them some day or what.

There was a duplicate book once upon a time that probably no longer
exists.  I focus on what I have access to and try not to think about the
other stuff.

Achada