On Mar 25, 3:37 pm, Frannie <owl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to understand the life hardships for my Ggggfather Jose da
> Silva Sampaio in Rabo de Peixe that caused him, his family and brother
> Francisco and his family to sign up for a 3 year  as contract workers for
> the Hawaiian Kingdom.  To leave their life style and family. Was there a
> shortage of jobs there?

Hi Frannie,

Robert Santos at Cal State Stanislaus has written about this:
http://library.csustan.edu/bsantos/migrat.html

And here is a link to an online version of a book written in 1886
called "The Azores: or Western Islands: a political, commercial, and
geographical account". You can read it online or download the PDF:
http://archive.org/details/azoresorwesterni00walk

It doesn't seem to say anything specific about emigration to Hawaii,
but here are few standout quotes:

"These oft recurring failures of the crops are aggravated by the whole
land being held and owned by the rich to the utter exclusion of the
labourer, who, unable to rise above his even precarious lOd. a day
wage, is condemned to a lifetime of ill-paid labour, and when the
maize crops, their staple article of food, fail, and grain has to be
imported at high prices, the labourer and his numerous progeny have a
bad time of it here."

"Emigration, generally clandestine, has of late years greatly relieved
the necessitous condition of these poor islanders, but the
difficulties in the way of the overplus population seeking their
fortunes elsewhere hare been increased by a law passed in the Cortes
in 1880, compelling all males, on attaining the age of 14, to deposit
£40 with the State, before being allowed to leave the country ; this
sum being kept in pawn with a view to providing a military substitute,
should the emigrant not return when required to undergo the period of
service in the army all Portuguese are liable to."

"The total annual emigration from this archipelago fluctuates between
two and three thousand of both sexes, but is continuous. Besides the
English, German and Portuguese steamers which occasionally call at
these islands for their living freights, there are three or four
sailing vessels employed between them and Boston and New Bedford,
U.S., carrying each about 170 passengers, and making five or six
voyages in the year. "

"Notwithstanding this constant flux of emigration, the population of
the island would seem to be on the increase, for the census of 1864
showed that the number of inhabitants amounted to 106,000, whereas in
the last census of 1878 they had increased to 120,000 approximately,
distributed between thirty-five towns and villages."

Best,
Steve