Hi!
   According to what I've read and known, the Sephardic Jews came from the
Sephard region of Spain.  When the inquisition started, they moved to Morocco
since that country was more favorable to Jews.  Much later, when they  then
thought the inquisition would come there, they went to the Azores.  Terceira,
in the Seriqui case.  The Benarus's and Bensabat's also went there (some are
buried in the Jewish cemetery in Angra do Heroismo according to the sign at the
cemetery) but some moved to Lisbon and others to other islands in the Azores.
The Seriqui side came to Boston eventually with two of the "boys" going to
Brazil earlier.  The name was changed in Boston because (my guess is) the name
was "too foreign sounding" but now looks French (ugh).   ;-)
   Some of the Jews who "converted" did so only because they didn't want their
heads chopped off and used very religious (Catholic) names so the authorities
wouldn't get suspicious.  I always chuckle when I read a very religious name
mentioned on this site as they were probably Jews during the inquisition time!
- Shirl -