I have always been suspicious of the "stowaway story" because my
grandfather was naturalized 12 years after his arrival.  It seems that
naturalization might require proof that one came legitimately.

On the other hand, I have enjoyed telling people that I am the grandson of
an illegal immigrant.

I am running into a problem because it appears that 1882 Boston records
were lost.

Len