On Jun 12, 10:04 am, Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stowaways....If I had $5 for every time I heard that story, I'd be rich!
> Our ancestors did not send all their boys to America or elsewhere to avoid
> the military.

Well, I agree that the "stowaway" story occurs far too frequently to
be credible. I was throwing the "draft dodger" thing out there as an
alternative, based on stuff I've read, not on family stories. So do
you believe that avoiding conscription was not a likely reason for
boys to leave? Were they just escaping poverty and joblessness? Were
their families to poor to feed them? Or did they just want adventure?

Steve