My four grandparents were all from Sao Miquel, and while I have been able
to find some information about the ones on my mom's side, I have had less
success on the other side which ironically has more living relatives in it.
 Anyway, here goes,

My mother was names Alzira Margarida Machado and her parents were from
Lagoa.  She still has relatives there and I met her first cousin five years
ago who still lives in the house my grandfather Jao Faria Machado grew up
in on Rua das Furnas.  My grandmother grew up in the same neighborhood and
her name was Maria DaCarmo Andrade/Andre.  She had a sister named Maria
Augusta who married Jose Faria (grandfather's first cousin)  They all came
to the US in the 1920's and from what I can deduce through the port of
Boston.

My father's family is more complex-there were 9 adult children and only
some lived nearby-there is still one left who is soon to be 91.  The
marriage record shows them as marrying in Fall River, so we don't know if
they met here or already knew each other, but we suspect it was here.  His
name was Manuel deSouza  aka Manuel Sousa Miquelina and the marriage
certificate lists his birth place as San Vincente in Sao Miquel,  She is
listed as Maria Izabel Rocha aka Isabel Rocha and a birthplace of Santo
Antonio in Sao Miquel.

Does anyone have a connection or information that might be helpful with any
of them or how to find info.  I did learn on my trip, that Lagoa has its
own dept of records, but the other two would probably be available in Ponta
Delgada, but when I tried to get info there, it was impossible to get
anywhere in the only 3 days we were in town.  Suggestions??