I had the same experience when I tried to order my Great Grandfathers
Social Security Application. He was born in 1887 and died in the 1950's.
They sent me back a letter saying that they could not verifty that this
individual was deceased and therefore could not send the record until I
provided an obituary or death certificate. I mailed them back a letter
re-requesting his application and I included his death certificate. After I
did this, they eventually sent me his Social Security Application, which
was in fact quite helpful as it stated both his parents.

So for anyone in the future who want to order a family members Social
Security Application, you should just include a death certificate or
obituary when you mail the initial request.

        David