David,

OK, let me get this straight, as I may have misinterpreted Kathy98's
original post.

If I am requesting the SS-5 of John Smith, I need to send in John Smith's
death certificate or obituary, correct? (They can't look in their own death
index to figure this out?)

I understood Kathy98 to say that they wanted the death or obits of the
PARENTS of the deceased.

Guess my brain wasn't functioning this morning!
Achada