  From: Leonard Silva
  To: azores@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 11:36 AM
  Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Writing the family history

  I have been researching my grandfather in the hopes of writing a history for
the coming generations  and to satisfy the curiosity of my family about their
heritage.

  After some research, I find that the kindly old man that I knew as a child
may not have been all that nice.  Stories are starting to arise of abuse,
excessive drinking, and estrangement of his children.

  My father was a product of his second marriage and cared a lot for his
parents.  Vovoo was an old man of 75 when I was born, and I only knew a sweet,
kind old man who loved me.  Now, I am finding that the children of his first
marriage did not hold him in such high esteem.

  So, my question for the group is:  If you were putting together a family
history for the generations to come, how would you handle this?

  Most of the stories are hearsay as there is no one alive with direct
knowledge, but there must be something to them.

  I am inclined to be very honest in relating family stories, but I wonder how
some of you might handle this.

  Thanks for your input,

  Len