In my grandmother's baptismal certificate, there is a fairly lengthy discussion
of how they took the crown off of the statue and placed it over the baby's head
because the madrinha had fallen and broken her arm, so was not available to
hold the baby.  The document also makes it very clear that it was a
substitution and that the real godmother was still the injured person.  They
also adjusted the name so that the name became the requisite Maria followed by
d'Carmo which was the saint's statue that was used.  The Lady of Fatima is
similarly bedecked, but she didn't make her presence until long after my
grandmother had been born.  In essence they are both the same apparition, but
one is wearing the outfit of a carmelite nun.

For those who aren't Catholic as was mentioned.  All the statuary of female
saints in Portugal has her wearing a gilded crown, sometimes embedded with
jewels, and they fit on the statue with what is essentially a 6-8 inch metal
rod attached to the inside of the crown and are placed in a hole that has been
drilled in the statue's head.  If you google Lady of Fatima, you will see what
this means.  Usually those crowns have a crucifix affixed on the top, whereas
crowns of the Holy Ghost usually have the dove.

Here is a link to a picture and also to the story of the connection between
these two apparitions.
http://www.traditioninaction.org/SOD/j082sdOlMountCarmel_7-16.htm

Fred

On Sep 16, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Shirley Sereque wrote:

> Who is this "Our Lady" they are talking about?   Just curious....
> - Shirl -

> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right

Thank you,

Frederick Souza