Hi Cheri

Thank you for all that information. I have read how the American whaling
industry gave young Azorean men the opportunity of joining a boat and
leaving the islands, thus avoiding mandatory military service at that time.
(circa 1870). As I cannot find any record of his arrival in Australia I
think he was not "official".
Is it possible therefore that he would not appear on any ship's list for
leaving or arriving?  I will keep looking at those links you sent.

Another clue (maybe) is that he wore a gold earring (I have a photo of him
and this is true) and my family said that this meant that he was working as
a sailor and had gone around the Cape. Do you know anything about that?

Diane Donnon