From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Margaret Vicente
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:33 AM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] clarification of translation - Santa Maria

Hi Sam,

I meant it as Alvara or Decree, not as one word.

Alvara is a word of Arabian origin Al-bara which means "letter" or "note".
Alvaras started in the church in 1524 when the concern arose in of double
and obscured marriages.

Simplifying it is a license to get married issued by "City Hall", a Civil
Entity.

They were licensed to marry on the 3rd and they were married on the 7th of
the same month (Jan) 1874

Alvaras are issued today by City Halls for people to open new business do
cosntruction etc.  which in english would be "permit/license"

Hope this helps.
Margaret

membership."

--