Steve,

I have also looked through the Familias da Ilha das Flores,Vila da Lajes,
 and the History of Flores and Corvo books and not seen this name. All the
online records for Minta as a Portuguese surname all relate to this family
staring with Manuel Minta b 1828.

I'm going to guess that name derives from how the original name sounded to
other passengers or settlers. It may be Mota, or possibly shortened from
Sarmento or Nascimento.

If I look at the wife's family, It shows Philomena R Thomas, which on the
MInta family tree at Ancestry show her parents as Jose Thomas Carneiro and
Maria Isabel. It is also stated that she used the surname Joseph on several
documents. The 1880 census shows a Joseph family next door. Might be worth
pursueing some information on them. There is another tree that suggests
that Philomena was a sister or sister in law  to Joao Thomas Renas also
from Flores that settled in Conta Costa .

Eric Edgar