Hi Michelle,

You might want to look at this little booklet of how to get started.  It's
full of ideas besides marriage and death certificates: http://goo.gl/yJddH

It's from the Azores GenWeb site.  You might want to bookmark that as well:
http://goo.gl/Ar7pm

You're going to have to gather as much evidence on the 3 siblings that you
can and then try to weigh it, like you said (believing the marriage over
the death).  However, keep in mind that you may be dealing with immigrant
ancestors who did not have good command of the English language at the time
they were asked the question.  My immigrant ancestor told the World War I
Draft board that he was born in "Portuguese" (stating his nationality,
instead).  On his son's birth, he stated he was the father, but when asked
the name of the mother, he stated HIS MOTHER, not his wife!  But your
strategy is good.  Collect all the information you can on the 3 that you
can easily trace (keeping an eye out for Mary/Maria) and then go from there.

Achada