Dano, I really appreciate your concise description of how the Flemish came
to the Azores.  May I have your permission to use it in my family tree?  Sam
in Maz

-----Original Message-----
From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Dano
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:45 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Silvina Cunha

The surname "Rose" is the anglicized version of the Portuguese surname
"Rosa," which in turn is the Portuguese adaptation of the Flemish surname
"Roos."

Background: After the Azores were discovered, Prince Henry found it
difficult to get the pampered Portuguese nobility to leave their comfortable
surroundings on the continent, and venture off into the vast unknown ocean
to live in isolation, on a few islands bereft of all of those aforementioned
comforts. A timely intervention by Henry's cousin, the Duchess of Lancaster,
who appealed to Henry on behalf of the Flemish people, after they had been
left destitute in the aftermath of a war for the Netherlands. So, Henry
agreed to invite the Flemish people to migrate to, and populate the islands
of the Azores (two problems "solved)." They settled mostly in the central
group of islands (Faial, Pico, Sao Jorge, and Graciosa). The result of the
Flemish colonization brought with it new customs and new names, which the
Portuguese islanders accepted, and so, the Flemish were quickly assimilated
into the Azorian society.