Amy, The University of Minho in Portugal and now the university of Porto
seems to have joined with them has a wonderful project where they are
mapping ( I don't know the correct term) the ancestry of the Azores. So, go
http://www.ghp.ics.uminho.pt        this will take you to the main
website,  Choose  ilha do Pico (Pico Island) , then Madalena.  This will
take you into a database that will include persons born in Candelaria. type
in Jose Simas Leal. there are so many persons with the same names in the
Azores you always also need further info so go down the list of Jose Leal
Simas until you find one born in 1907 this is my realitive. If you send me
your full email address I will send you the relationship chart. I will try
to help you all I can as others helped me when I joined this site. I
haven't talked to  Kevin Malloy (the historian i mentioned several emails
ago) for a few years but if necessary i think I can find him if needed. but
the Y- DNA and family finder is the best option at the moment.

regards,
Christine
gandc...@bigpond.com